We may discourage you from treatment in order to protect your health
Unfortunately there are some conditions that can make you unsuitable for biological treatments. If your body is in a weakened state due to a medical condition, or if you are simply more prone to illness your doctor may recommend you not partake in the procedure. Some examples of conditions that are very likely to exclude you from the procedure include:
- Blood disorders
- Low BMI or insufficient fat reserves
- Unstable illness
If you suffer from any of these complicated conditions we will analyse your condition and may refuse you treatment. Here at Macquarie Stem Cells in Sydney your health is our number one priority, that’s why we urge our patients to keep in mind that we will only ever refuse treatment when the effects could potentially be harmful.
Other factors to consider
- Whilst this is a small fat harvest procedure it is still surgery and may involve some stress and risk for the patient. Fat harvested by volume at 500ml max is less than 10% of that collected for many cosmetic liposuctions.
- Blood thinning tablets are a particular risk and deserve separate mention. Including aspirin, non-steroidal inflammatory medications, herbs and oils that thin the blood such as fish oil (includes Krill oil), Ginkho Biloba. This does not prohibit you from the treatment, we may need to request you to stop the blood thinners for 7 days prior to the procedure to ensure safety.
- Gout and Pseudogout if not well controlled can cause a ‘flare’ of inflammation and swelling which will kill the freshly transplanted cells.This needs planning to avoid.
- Age of itself is not a barrier for our treatment. However, with increasing age illness and fragility are more frequent.
- Cancer – We have ample evidence to suggest there are no issues with cancer, out of all of the patients treated since 2009 there have been zero incidences. However, we do not completely understand this treatments interactions with cancer. It might make it worse, better or have no effect. Until we know the answer to this we will not treat anyone who has cancer or has not been free of cancer for at least three years.
ARE YOU SUITABLE?
Please complete the Macquarie Stem Cells suitability application and our consultant will be in touch with you to discuss further.